Be prepared with a survival kit that should always remain in the car. Replenish after use.
- Exterior windshield cleaner
- First aid kit
- Ice scraper and snow brush
- Non-perishable, high-energy foods like unsalted canned nuts, dried fruits, and hard candy
- Reflective triangles and brightly-colored cloth
- Scissors and string/cord
- Wooden stick matches in a waterproof container
- Working flashlight and extra batteries
In addition, if you are driving long distances under cold, snowy, and icy conditions, you should also carry supplies to keep you warm such as heavy woolen mittens, socks, a cap, and blankets.