Many people are not exactly sure what to do when they have a complaint regarding a possible violation. What we advise is to first talk with your neighbor or property owner. Politely explain the situation and ask for their cooperation in resolving the problem. If your "good neighbor" effort fails, call us. We are happy to discuss the situation and will explain what type of steps we will have to take in order to have violations corrected. 

Necessary Information

When you call, be prepared to provide the following information:

  1. The specific type of complaint or nuisance
  2. Your name, address, and telephone number. This information is kept confidential and is especially important if you leave a message and we need to contact you for more information or clarification regarding your complaint.
  3. Provide the exact location of the problem. We will need the house number and street name. If there is no address, then provide as much information regarding the location, i.e. northwest corner of Main Street and First Avenue.
  4. Provide a brief description of the violation or complaint.
    • If your complaint is regarding a vehicle, then provide the license plate number, make and model, and color of the vehicle. State if the vehicle is on the street or private property.
    • If your complaint is regarding debris, then provide a brief description of the type of debris and the location where these items are stored on the property. Examples of debris:
      • Building materials
      • Car parts
      • Garbage
      • Old tires
    • If your complaint is regarding an ongoing activity rather than a physical violation, then provide us with a description of the activity, when it is occurring, and the day and times it occurs.

Taking a Minute to Ask

If you have a question relating to any property in Lewiston or what’s taking place on that property, the Police Department has a wealth of information to share. Simply by taking a minute to ask, this valuable resource can be put to work, helping to find the answer you need. If you have any questions regarding the information listed here or other procedures or violations regarding Code Enforcement, please call Doug Willey at 208-746-0171.

What We Do When a Complaint is Verified

If after an investigation of the problem, the Code Enforcement Officer finds that a violation has occurred or exists, further action will be taken to resolve the problem. Every effort will be made by the Code Enforcement Officer to utilize diplomacy, tact, and friendly persuasion to gain cooperation in compliance with the City Codes when a violation is found.

Property owners will have the opportunity to discuss the violations and work in cooperation with Code Enforcement to correct problems that exist. If voluntary cooperation to correct the problem is not obtained, the Property Maintenance Officer can take the necessary steps to initiate prosecution of the violation through the legal system.

If each of us will first consider the effect that our own actions may have on the property and people surrounding us, the ideal of achieving better cooperation and compliance will be off to a good start. If you have concerns or questions relating to Code Enforcement and the Community Development Department, please call Doug Willey at 208-746-0171.