Using the Library
In order to provide library services safely as COVID cases rise in our community, as of November 30th, the Lewiston City Library will be moving to curbside services with meeting rooms and computer access available by appointment only.
- Library materials will be available for curbside pick-up only. (See Curbside Pick-up procedures below)
- Computer access will be available by appointment from 10AM - 6:30PM (Mon-Thurs) and 10AM - 4:30PM (Fri-Sat).
- The first floor Meeting Room will be available by appointment from 10AM - 6:30PM (Mon-Thurs) and 10AM - 4:30PM (Fri-Sat).
- All visitors with appointments, including children, entering the library are required to wear a face mask which securely covers the mouth and nose the entire time they are in the library.
- Visitors will maintain the recommended 6 foot distance from other visitors and staff while in the library for appointments.
- Visitors will need to enter the library through the 5th Street entrance and will be escorted to the area in which they have a reservation.
- Patrons unable to wear a mask that are in need of public computer access or a meeting space, may schedule an appointment between the hours of 3PM - 7PM (Mon-Thurs) and 3PM - 5PM (Fri-Sat). Please inform staff at the time of reservation that you are unable to wear a mask.
Library users may put items on hold through their library account or call the library to request items. We will bring your items out to you when you arrive to pick them up. No contact necessary!
Curbside Pick-up Procedure:
- Library users can place items on hold through their Valnet account.
- If you are unsure how to log into your Valnet account and place holds, please see this helpful tutorial provided by the Valnet Consortium.
- Once you have placed items on hold, wait until you have received a notification from the Lewiston City Library that your items are available for pick-up. You will be contacted either by phone, email, or text message depending on your account settings. Once you are notified, you may come down to the library to pick them up.
- When you arrive at the library, park along the 5th street curb (the entrance with the fountain) and call us at 208-798-2525 to let the staff know you are at the library and awaiting your items.
- Library staff will ask your name and a few other verification questions. They will then check out your holds and bring them out to you. You may be asked to wait in a specific area in order to maintain social distancing.
- If you have items to return, they can be placed in the outside dropbox which is located in the wall on the 5th street side of the building, denoted by a metal overhang with a "Dropbox" sign on it. Library staff will not take return at curbside.
- Please keep in mind that if a staff member doesn’t answer your call when you arrive, it is simply because we are helping another patron. Please leave us your name and phone number and we will return your call ASAP.
The Lewiston City Library is a member of the Valnet Library Consortium. To access your Valnet account, go to the Valnet website at Valnet.org and use your library card number to log in.
Once you have logged into your account you can:
- View your account summary
- Place holds on physical materials to pick up at the library
- Check out and place holds on digital ebooks and audiobooks
- View and change your personal account details
- Change your password
- View your search and reading history
- Send purchase suggestions
- Change your messaging settings
- Manage your lists
Register for a Library Card
Don’t have a library card yet? Any resident of Lewiston is eligible for a free library card! To verify your address, we ask that you bring a piece of mail with your current home address.
A library card is required to borrow library items and will give you free access to a variety of library resources including Overdrive, Lili.org, and other online databases. You can also use your new library card number to log into the library’s patron computers.
Temporary cards and computer guest passes may be issued for those visiting the area.
Replace Your Card
A $1 fee is charged for a replacement card. No fee is charged to replace a card that is worn out due to extended use. Please notify the library if your card has been lost or stolen.
|Item||Loan Period||Item Limit||Renewals|
|Books||30 Days||No Limit||2|
|New Books||14 Days||No Limit||1|
|Book Club Kits||14 Days||No Limit||2|
|Magazines||14 Days||No Limit||2|
|Hotspots||14 Days||1 Item Limit||0|
|Audiobooks||14 Days||No Limit||2|
|DVDs||7 Days||6 Item Limit||2|
|Video Games||7 Days||2 Item Limit||1|
|Reference Material||In-Library Use Only||NA||NA|
|Genealogy Material||In-Library Use Onlly||NA||NA|
|Newspapers||In-Library Use Only||NA||NA|
|Tech Equipment||In-Library Use Only||NA||NA|
You may renew materials online through your Valnet account; over the phone at 208-798-2525; or at the library with your library card.
If the material you need is already checked out or at another location, the item can be placed on Hold. You may place a hold request, check the status of your hold, or cancel your hold online through your Valnet account or by calling the library where a staff member will be happy to assist you.
Once your hold is available, you will be notified by email, text message, or phone. Please make sure your contact information and notification preference is updated in your account.
Fines & Charges
Fines will be charged to the patron’s account for materials that are lost, damaged or returned incomplete. You will be blocked from checking out additional materials and from accessing some online resources if you accumulate $5 or more in fines or charges.
You are responsible for returning items checked out on your library card by the due date. You will be blocked from checking out additional materials if you have overdue items on your account. Overdue items will also prevent you from ordering or renewing items online.
Patrons can return books to any of our book drop locations both inside or outside of the library:
- In-library at any of the first-floor help desks.
- On the outer wall of the 5th Street side of the building.
- In the Rosauers parking lot at 332 Thain Road.
- Please do not leave DVDs or Audiobooks in the Rosauers Book Drop
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan service allows libraries to access and borrow items outside of their own library system. If you can’t find the item you’re looking for in the Valnet library catalog, please contact the library for ILL consideration. Email us at email@example.com or call 208-798-2525.
Procedures and Limitations
- You may request up to 3 items at a time via:
- You will be notified by phone or email when your request arrives. Usually 1-2 weeks.
- Items must be picked up and dropped off at the Lewiston City Library.
- Items NOT available through ILL include:
- AV materials (DVDs, CDs, Audiobooks)
- Popular books published within the last year
- Individual issues of magazines and newspapers
- Most reference materials
- Books currently in the Valnet collection
- Non-resident cardholders may be charged a postage fee.
- Please review our Interlibrary Loan Policy (PDF) before submitting your request.
We encourage patrons to seek the assistance of library staff in finding answers and solutions to reference questions. A valid library card is NOT required to receive reference help; however, a valid card is needed to check out items from the library. Staff is prohibited from performing tasks of a personal business nature, such as giving tax advice, conducting business on behalf of the patron, recommending a medical practitioner or attorney, etc.
To ask a reference question, fill out our Reference Request Form.