Built for brothers and butchers Ben and John Dill from Cork, Ireland, and Jacob Eichenberger, a cobbler from Switzerland.
In the early years it housed furniture store and hardware stores, a meat market and the grocery store owned by the Dill brothers. The upper floors housed the Spokane Hotel and later the Bush then Burbank Hotels. The building was raided several times during Prohibition.
It also contained Eng’s Restaurant, owned by Ted Loy, who was a leader of Lewiston’s Chinese community for many years.
Store front, circa 1903
Spokane Hotel, circa 1942
The Historic Preservation Commission would like to recognize and thank Dr. Steven Branting and the Nez Perce County Historical Society and Museum for the access to and contributions from their extensive archives for this project. Special thanks go to Commissioner Leah Boots for her countless hours of work to make this project a reality.
This project is supported in part by the Idaho State Historical Society.