Read all of the titles engraved on the hem of the Reading Mother's skirt in 8 months!
September 20, 2021
The Reading Mother Challenge starts on October 1, 2021 and ends on May 31, 2022. The objective is to read all the books that are imprinted on the hem of the Reading Mother's skirt in 8 months. For each book read, the reader will receive a raffle ticket good for a chance to win a gift basket sponsored by the members of the Tsceminicum Club. You can visit the library to receive your raffle tickets. If you are unable to come into the library, call the library and we can enter your raffle ticket for you.
Readers will be broken up into four categories. Each category has its own gift basket and registration is required to be entered into the prize drawing.
To register, please fill out our online Registration Form.
- Adults: 18 & Up
- Teens: 13-18
- Kids: 8-12
- Families or Groups: All Ages (1 ticket will be entered per family or group for each title)
List of titles on the Reading Mother's skirt:
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
- Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Charlie & the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
- Curious George by H.A. Rey
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
- Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
- Heidi by Johanna Spyri
- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
- Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
- Olivia by Ian Falconer
- Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
- Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London
- The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
- The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf
- The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
- Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
- Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
About the Reading Mother and Its Artist
The Reading Mother is a sculpture by Sharon Taylor that can be seen at the entrance to the Children's section of the Lewiston City Library.
"I had an idea for a sculpture that would be a tribute to my mother and to all mothers who foster a love of reading in their children by reading to them. I hope also that it would inspire busy young mothers (and fathers) to take time to read to their children." - Sharon Taylor
Sharon Taylor lives in Lewiston and her sculptures, executed in cast stone, silver, and bronze have appeared in regional and national art shows and have been on display in galleries throughout the Northwest.
About the Tsceminicum Club
The Tsceminicum Club was organized in Lewiston, Idaho in 1898. The objective of the club is to promote literature science, the arts, and to assist in projects of community interest. Tsceminicum meaning 'meeting of the waters' was the name given by the Nez Perce to the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake Rivers. In addition to culture, the club has been involved in many projects on civic improvement, including the creation of the first library and support of the library since its inception, scholarships for deserving students, and numerous city beautification projects.